EU missions are commitments to solve some of the greatest challenges facing our world like fighting cancer, adapting to climate change, protecting our oceans, living in greener cities and ensuring soil health and food.
They are an integral part of the Horizon Europe framework programme beginning in 2021.
Each mission will operate as a portfolio of actions – such as research projects, policy measures or even legislative initiatives – to achieve a measurable goal that could not be achieved through individual actions.
EU missions will contribute to the goals of the European Green Deal, Europe’s Beating Cancer Plan as well as the Sustainable Development Goals.
A wide range of studies and reports informed this approach.
EU missions will
- be bold, inspirational and widely relevant to society
- be clearly framed: targeted, measurable and time-bound
- establish impact-driven but realistic goals
- mobilise resources on EU, national and local levels
- link activities across different disciplines and different types of research and innovation
- make it easier for citizens to understand the value of investments in research and innovation
Areas where there will be missions
- adaptation to climate change including societal transformation
- healthy oceans, seas coastal and inland waters
- climate-neutral and smart cities
- soil health and food
In the first round of calls in 2021, preparatory measures will be funded for each of the five missions. The aim is a quick start in the implementation phase of the missions; a rapid development of the R&D measures will be supported. The call for proposals is scheduled to start on May 18, the deadline for submission is September 9, 2021:
- HORIZON-MISS-2021-UNCAN-01-01 >> Preparing UNCAN.eu, a European initiative to understand cancer
- HORIZON-MISS-2021-CLIMA-01 >> Better prepared regional and local authorities to adapt to climate change
- HORIZON-MISS-2021-OCEAN-01 >> Preparation for deployment of ‘lighthouse demonstrators’ and solution scale ups and cross-cutting citizen and stakeholder involvement
- HORIZON-MISS-2021-CIT-01 >> Supporting the transition towards climate neutrality within cities
- HORIZON-MISS-2021-SOIL-01 >> Preparing the ground for healthy soils: building capacities for engagement, outreach and knowledge