Work visa sponsorship is not available for this position
Applications without a cover letter addressing the motivation, interest, and fit for this particular job will not be considered.
About SENFI UK Ltd & SCG Chemicals Co. Ltd.:
SENFI UK Ltd. is a subsidiary of SCG Chemicals Co. Ltd. We are expanding our footprint from SE Asia into Europe and expanding our connection with Oxford University by siting our first overseas corporate laboratory at Begbroke Science Park Oxfordshire.
SCG Chemicals is a Division of SCG and one of the largest integrated petrochemical companies in Asia and a key industry leader. We manufacture and supply a full range of petrochemical products ranging from upstream monomers to downstream polymers including polyethylene, polypropylene, polyvinyl chloride, polystyrene and MMA. SCG is a leading business conglomerate in the ASEAN region. SCG is committed to conducting business in line with good corporate governance and sustainable development principles.
About the position:
In the Functional Material business at SENFI UK Ltd. we are developing new products and technologies on a market back based approach. Our mission is to enable and contribute to the advancements in sustainability and circular economy by unlocking new functionality and a step change in product performance. By using functional materials as active or additive ingredient in various formulations we are targeting a broad range of applications such as Adhesives, Energy Materials, Flexible Packaging, Composites, and Life Sciences.
Implementing our global health and life science strategy, we are seeking a Materials Scientist for Life Science Applications to design our current and future technology platforms to medical and life science applications. We are looking for candidates with strong technical background in Materials Science and experience in Life Science related applications (i.e. drug delivery, biomaterials, pharmaceutical, etc). In this exciting role the candidate will closely work with the Global Market Manager Life Sciences (based in Switzerland), and the global R&D, Marketing and Production teams to develop and shepherd new products from idea to commercialization. The successful candidate will act as the customer facing technical expert for the respective application. The candidate would have direct reporting relationship to the Global Senior Technology Manager for the FM business in Begbroke, Oxfordshire.
On a personal level we are looking for and open-minded self-starter with strong interpersonal and communication skills, and entrepreneurial spirit. Passionate about exploring new topics, research fields and applications, able to deal with ambiguity and pivot quickly as needed. A certain degree of assertiveness is desired to share your professional opinion, constantly challenging the status quo while striving for excellence. The candidate should enjoy working on multiple projects at the same time while being able to manage time and priorities effectively. The ability to adapt to a new pace and international and diverse teams is key for being successful in this role. Experience in providing direction and mentorship to subordinates is beneficial.
Responsibilities among others include but not limited to:
- Understanding of customer needs and desires, global trends, and ability to translate those into actionable projects
- Gain insights into existing solutions and the competitive landscape for the target applications in the field of life sciences and medical space via primary, secondary, and tertiary research
- Define technical product specifications for manufacturing and sales
- Responsible for prototype development and customer product trials
- Ownership of the technical relationship with the customer
- Design of Experiment (DoE)
- Familiarity with syntheses, key application testing and material characterization methods
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, and to conclude next steps
- Carry out collaborative projects with colleagues in partner institutions including SCG Chemicals Co. Ltd., Thailand
- Use and maintenance of scientific equipment in a laboratory environment
- Support of the Commercial team by identifying and evaluating new opportunities
- Continuous learning in the fast paced life science space to provide best technical support to the teams while identifying and responding to jobs to be done in different segments in the life science space
- Masters in Material Science, Chemical Engineering or Chemistry and minimum of 5 years of industrial experience in Life Science related field or PhD in Material Science, Chemical Engineering with research focus on Life Science related topics
- Be able to demonstrate competence and success in the research area
- Knowledge in (nano)particle characterization, handling and processing, compounding, and/or formulation is of advantage
- Experience working with inorganic substances is of advantage
- Show an ability to work supportively and independently in a laboratory environment
- Healthy scientific instincts grounded by pragmatic understanding of reality is advantageous
- Self-motivated; ability to take ownership and leads by example
- Communicate well in English in written and oral form
- Ability to create visual presentations and to make recommendations to leadership
- Engage effectively in international joint projects through open exchange of information and communication flow, collaboration, and teamwork
- Familiarity with IMP, StageGate, OKR, and/or 24 Steps process is of advantage
- Basic understanding of business cases, cost structures, value propositions
What we offer:
- Very diverse and international team with 7+ nationalities
- Start-up mentality
- Opportunity to be part of Technical team driven by excellence, creativity, and personality anchored in the believe that only as team we can be successful
- Participating in projects to in-house developed technologies and products that make a difference in the world
- Opportunities to grow within the business as well as potential foreign assignment